I'm a Mormon.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

All Things Denote There Is a God



You know, growin up the way I did around horses and cattle in Southern Utah, and Northern Arizona, has taught me a lot of lessons about life. I've spent a lot of time on top of a horse out in the middle of nowhere, and when it's just you and your thoughts, you have a lot of time to think. Those times, added to a lot of time spent with my dad on the long ride home at the end of a day of work, has made me realize how much our Heavenly Father loves us. My dad would always make some kind of comment about how pretty the scenery was, or how you don't see a sunset like that everyday, and how lucky we were to be living in the time, and place we were. Well me bein the smart aleck teenager that I was, always had some kind of stupid remark to go along with it. I guess I never really appreciated the little things in life. A cool drink of water at the end of a long hot day. Or a cool breeze here in there when you're workin hard, a red-rock canyon covered in snow in the middle of winter, or the young calves in the spring runnin, and jumpin around. Those little things, I never really appreciated till now. Now that I've been away from home for almost a year and a half, I think I'm finally beginning to see what my dad had been so grateful for all those times. This earth, and everything in and on it, is just another reminder to me that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us so much. I mean, they made this earth for us, as a place where we could grow, develop, and have the experiences necessary for us to become more like them, and return to live with them again someday. To me this earth is just one more "evidence" you might say, that there is a God.
The prophet Alma, in the Book of Mormon, taught this when he was speaking with the anti-Christ, Korihor, who challenged Alma by saying "...If thou wilt show me a sign, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words. But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these they brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.....Will ye deny all these witnesses?" (Alma 30:43-45)
We do have a loving Father in Heaven, who created this world so that WE "might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25) He cares for us, and is aware of us each individually and is ready and willing to help us if we will but pray to Him. I don't know how anyone could deny that with "all these witnesses." He created this world for us, as a testing and proving ground and if we are faithful, and endure to the end, we can return to live with Him through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that!




1 comment:

  1. I love the red cliffs and beauty of Southern Utah. Each time I pass through the area I am struck with the same thoughts you have just expressed. It is undeniable that we have a God who loved us and created this beautiful world for us to live in so that we could grow and progress. I also know as Alma, that the evidences of God are all around us, no matter where we live, if we simply open our mind, our heart, and our eyes to see.

    ReplyDelete